Designing D Store

Friday, February 6, 2009

My Baby is Not a Baby Anymore

It was night time. Each of us had gone through the routine of washing off the day's grime, freshening our mouths and slipping into comfy pajamas. It was a quiet night, and I was feeling pretty proud of myself. I, Mom, had gotten everybody: homework done, fed, washed and into bed at a reasonable hour. I even had time to read stories to my precious babies.

I went to my final stop on the reading tour, my oldest baby's room. As soon as I walked through the door, I was bowled over by a stench I cannot describe. My oldest baby's face of surprise to my reaction to the smell led me to wonder if he smelled it. I asked him, "What is that smell?!?" In the innocence of a baby, he looked at me and asked, "What smell?" I could hardly believe my ears, or my nose for that matter.

I began the hunt for 'that smell.' Periodically, asking my son the usual questions, "Have you been eating food in here again?" "Is your laundry in the hamper?" "Is your stomach upset?" My son could not believe I was so insistant that there was a smell and had no idea what it could be.

I finally gave up and sat on the bed next to him. Leaning over to kiss him, I got a whiff of 'that smell.' I asked him, "what have you been doing?" "Nothing," he reported, "Just chasing my brother, playing swords and seeing how high I could jump. I can almost reach above the door frame to my room. Wanna see?" He lifted his arm to show me how high he can reach and then I got a really good whiff of 'that smell.'

My baby is not a baby anymore. He is nine years old and definately ready for deoderant. As I grappled with that I began to wonder, what is next? My baby is not a baby anymore. He needs deoderant. Soon other changes will happen. I am a girl Mom who was raised with girly sisters. I don't know anything about growing up a boy. I suspect he will start to get hair in strange places. I know his voice will change, but that still shouldn't happen for a few years. My baby is still losing baby teeth. He can't be old enough for all this. But my baby is losing his baby teeth, and the adult teeth are coming in just fine. He may only be nine (9), but he is growing up.

So, what's a Mom to do? Research, of course. Boys are wonderful and their changes are pretty much what you think they will be. If you want some confirmation, reassurance or more information, here are a few websites to check out:

Growing up boys is different than growing up girls. Each have their own challenges and rewards. I love my babies. I love my sons. I love my baby boy who is not a baby anymore.

No comments: