Designing D Store

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Kids Movies, G-Force

G-Force, http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/gforce/ , is a kids movie. I have heard a couple of official Movie Critics "boo" this movie. I disagree. I am guessing these critics don't remember being a kid and certainly don't have kids. So here's just my two cents....

I took four 10 year old boys and one 5 year old boy, and they loved it. To them, it was a simple story with some really cute characters, funny lines and cool action sequences. The transformer at the end was a good touch. The favorite line in the movie that, of course, my 5 year old learned, "Get your face out of my butt. (other character) Get your butt out of my face." Yes, I am a proud Mom.

From an adults view the story was predictable, the characters shallow, the humor was cheesy and the action sequences were just not plausible. Now, did I go to a kids movie expecting an epic tale of courage, of good triumphing over evil, of a personal journey of discovery to find what family truly means? No. These are all loosely touched on in the movie and slipped right over the heads of my kids. Did I go to a kids movie about guinea pigs expecting a realistic story with plausible action and engaging dialogue? No. Get real people.

What I am not sure of how I feel is what the kids talked about on the ride home. The kids spent the entire trip quoting the commercials and debating whether or not they saw it in the movie. I am sad my kids have watched the commercials enough to have them memorized, and not sure if it is misleading of Disney to promote scenes that are not going to make it to the final cut. Anyway, just be aware that not everything that was promoted in the trailers is in the movie.

Overall, it was a good movie with some really cute guinea pigs. To answer my oldest son's favorite questions: 1) Blaster was my favorite character, and 2) my oldest son is most like Hurley, incredibly cute, love for sweets, heart of gold and tremendous inner strength when it really counts.

No comments: