Designing D Store

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mom-Me: Back to Work, the Gripe

My husband and I have done a pretty good job riding the waves of economics so that Mom-Me could stay home with the kids for these past three years, but lately it has been harder than hard. When you have to set-up payment plans for your utilities, it is time to make big changes. My husband says it is time for Mom-Me to go back to work. I mentioned it to my sister that my husband told me to go back to work, and she said that I had a nice ride. She said I should be thankful for the time off and go back to work.


Now as Mom-Me I am wondering when did I get time off? When did I stop working? I know I stopped getting paid for my work about three years ago, but I don't recall ever stopping work. I do admit that there was a time that I protested against my work due to lack of appreciation, but I never did an all stop. I still managed the household income and expenses, the child care, the food services and the laundry services. I never stopped being the in-house nurse, teacher, psychologist, and entertainment director. I never stopped the tap dance of trying to fullfill my commitments as daughter, daughter-in-law, sister, school volunteer, church volunteer, youth group volunteer, friend, wife, and Mom. I simply stopped housekeeping, file clerk, and administrative assistant to make a point, and my point was made by the end of a week.


We have all heard the estimated value of Mom-Me and that no household could ever afford to hire professionals to fulfill all her roles. My husband has watched those reports and so have my children. All of which have said, "Good job, Mom-Me." But now it is time to get back to work.


So I am going back to work. Do I get to pursue my career? No. I have those kids to think about. If I pursued the career I truly want, I would have to sacrifice some nights and weekends and may miss some important Mom-Me dates like games and award ceremonies. Do I get to pursue a job at least on the career path of my choice? No. If I pursue a job on the career path, then I would have to work full time year round. I suppose I should mention that my loving husband told me I had to go back to work, but to find a job that would not require child care and that would make sure I am home on time to have a hot dinner ready when he gets home from his career job of choice. So I am supposed to find a full time job with part time hours.

I love being a Mom and a Wife, but this lack of appreciation really stinks. I am looking for work outside the home that might actually pay me. I am trying to find something that will not make us put our kids in child care. I am trying to accept that even though I will be working outside the home, I will still be required to get all my work done inside the home. Oh yeah, I haven't been working for the past three year. I am supposed to be thankful for the time off, the extended vacation and get back to work.

Maybe I should try an all stop and see if I get the message across that a Mom working inside the home is WORK.

No comments: