Designing D Store

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mom-Me: Back to Work, Trial and Error

For three years I have been a Mom who works inside the home. Economic yuck yuck and now I am a Mom trying to find work outside the home.

I have tried blogging and a t-shirt store front. It is quite impossible to maintain a single train of thought when the kids are at home. I have definately put in part time hours and gotten less than part time results. The only person I have actually made a sale to is myself.

I have tried contract services in Marketing. I did find one client, but to make sure I got the job I really priced low. The money I am making is not enough to pay for lunch, but at least it is more than the cost of materials.

I tried submitting writings and designs for contests and through on-line services that connect independents to buyers. I didn't win any contract jobs, but I did win one writing contest. I won a $50 gift certificate to the Disney Store. My kids loved it.

I have now registered as a substitute teacher for our local school district. This one might work. I have only sub'ed twice and both days were pretty fun. The good thing is I am actually using my degree. I am also doing some of the things I did as a volunteer, but this time I get paid. We will not make our fortune as a Substitute Teacher, but the hours are good and I have the same holidays as my children. I do have to have a babysitter, but only for an hour. I still have time to cook breakfast in the morning and get my kids to school, and I am home in plenty of time to get dinner ready for my loving husband.

I keep telling myself that I love being a Mom and a Wife. I am trying to not be offended by the insinuation that a Mom working inside the home is not working. I MAY NOT BE GETTING PAID, BUT I AM WORKING! I am holding on to hope that this latest endeavor will be enough.

I do love my kids, and I do want to be home for them. But reality is what it is. I have to get paid for my work.

No comments: