Designing D Store

Friday, January 9, 2009

Step Ten: Celebration

Celebration! It seems redundant after the last entry. Finalization was a huge celebration. Every year we get to celebrate our son’s birthday is a huge celebration, but every December I still remember that court date when I hugged the biological mother. Every August I still remember that court date when we signed the finalization papers to finally adopt our son.

Such a mixed blessing, I celebrate the joy of our son, but I feel sorrow for the biological parents. I love my son as if he were my own. I cannot imagine him being taken away from me. I cannot image voluntarily giving him away. What a tremendously selfless act to acknowledge your weaknesses and sign away your parental rights. I saw the pain in their eyes. They didn’t want to let go, but they knew it was best for the baby. We can’t thank them enough for allowing us to adopt their son.

So we celebrate. We acknowledge the sacrifice that was made, but we celebrate the love. We celebrate an answer to prayer. We celebrate this valued addition to our family. We celebrate life and family and love and all that good stuff.

Foster to Adopt (aka Special Needs Adoption) is a tough road with many twists and turns but when you cross that finish line, the joy is indescribable. I highly recommend you taking a ride.

No comments: