Designing D Store

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Stupid Question #1

“Is he real?” asked a passing stranger admiring my African American toddler. My Caucasian son answered that question eloquently, “Does a doll burp?” Then he mustered a burp that made the toddler laugh and burp. Then the two brothers proceeded to have a burping contest. I, the “white, Non-Hispanic” Mom, stirred things up a bit by producing my own, very large burp. I love having boys.

When you adopt a child of another race or color, be prepared for the stupid questions. Yes, this was a real question. We are real people. We are transracial which means some in our family are from one race and some are of another race, in our case: Caucasian and African American.

My son is very real to me. Right now he is sick and my heart beats strongly for him. It appears to be just a cold, but he is a thin, little guy and to hear the rattle in his chest and the stuffiness in his nose just hurts me. I am caring for him like any mother cares for her son with medicine, hot soup, steam baths and lots of hugs. I am not sleeping at the moment since with every cough he makes throughout the night, I am up checking on him.

My son is very real to me. I don’t see an adopted, African American child. I see my son, and he needs me.

No comments: