Designing D Store

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stupid Question #5

“Whose child is this?” was the question a nice man asked as he caught my son who was in full stride running outside a restaurant. It was a busy night and we had to wait. I was letting my kids run to the end of the sidewalk and back. The Nice Man thought he was helping by catching a running child. I approached and said, “He is mine.” The Nice Man did not look so nice anymore. He looked at me and said even louder, “Whose child is this?” Again, I told him, “He is mine.” The Man started to push my son behind him I suppose to protect the child from me. I gently smiled, looked at my son, and said, “Son, tell the Nice Man my name.” Of course, he yelled, “Mommy,” laughed and ran into my arms. The Nice Man looked us over pretty hard, but then I suppose he decided my son’s affection towards me was genuine and not induced.

When you adopt a child of another race or color, be prepared for the stupid questions. I can’t say this one was stupid. I can say that this post is more of a “be aware” post for prospective adoptive parents.

I actually get this often especially when I leave my son in childcare. If there is a new volunteer or paid worker who does not know us, they usually require an I.D. or some proof that he is my son. I don’t normally carry around our adoption papers. I usually have to wait until the person who checked us in can be located. I have never had anyone refuse to release my son to me. My son is very rambunctious and affectionate, and he is quite loud in his announcement that, “Mommy is here.” He helps a lot in putting childcare workers at ease that I am the Mommy.

No comments: