Designing D Store

Friday, October 24, 2008

Stupid Question #6

“Babysitting?” another parent at the park asked me (Caucasian Mom) while watching my African American son slide down the slide. “No,” was my simple answer. The parent squirmed with curiosity and then began the full series of stupid questions.

“Is he real?” I answered, “Yes.”
“Is he yours?” I answered, “Yes.”
“Is he a mix?” I answered, “No.”
“You are African American?” I answered, “No.”
“Where did you get him?” I answered, “The hospital.”

I guess I have a mean streak. I truly enjoyed watching this poor parent try and figure it all out. She got real close to my face and inspected it closely to see if I was African American. I didn’t know her, and she didn’t know us. I just didn’t see why it should matter. He was my son and that was that.

When you adopt a child of another race or color, be prepared for the stupid questions. Times have changed and there are a lot more interracial, transracial and other racial families out there. I always enjoy seeing one. I know and they know that they are asked about their family everywhere they go. I and they want to respect mine and their privacy. Just about every family I have come across offers a simple smile with a nod of the head that says, “I know.”

So here I will end this series. I am sure there are many more stupid questions and some may be posted at a later date. But for now, this is the end. There really isn’t such a thing as a stupid question if you are sincere. If you are a prospective adoptive parent, head up! Transracial adoption can and does work. You will love your child as your own. You will come to a time where you do not see a child of color, but you will see your child.

No comments: