Designing D Store

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Stupid Questions

When you adopt a child of another race and/or color, be prepared for the stupid questions. Just so you know, I am a light skinned, green eyed, woman. My light skinned, green eyed husband and I have two sons: a biological, blond haired, blue eyed son and an adopted, dark skin, brown eyed son. The politically correct term for our family is transracial.

For the first stupid question, “Are you African American?” If you could see me, you would find that question quite humorous. I am from Scotch/Irish decent. I am pretty darn white with freckles. I can only guess it is the freckles that give the question some credence.

Thus begins a series, I like to call “Stupid Questions.” Now the Mom and Teacher in me says, “The only stupid question is the one that was never asked.” So when people ask me these stupid questions, I take a deep breath and try to politely answer.

Here is a tip for people on the outside looking into a transracial family. COMMON SENSE and don’t forget, PRIVACY. You don’t need to know all my business or the history of my child, and if you are a total stranger, I am not going to tell you. I am not trying to be rude. It is just none of your business.

If you continue to read this blog, you will learn quite a bit about us. Mostly I am doing this as an educational tool. I get asked a lot of questions, and I appreciate people with a genuine interest. I appreciate people considering the same path who want to hear from someone who has been there, done that. I do not appreciate people who see us as a curiosity or feed for some gossip.

Just like anything else, once you get into it, your eyes open and you see how common you are. We may seem odd to you, but to us and the numerous other families like us. We are one of many.

No comments: