Designing D Store

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Stupid Question #3

“Are you going to tell him he is adopted?” Now here is where a little common sense would do the inquisitor some good. I am a fair skinned, light haired, green eyed Caucasian woman with a dark skinned, darker haired, browned eyed, African American son. Do I have to answer that question?

When you adopt a child of another race or color, be prepared for the stupid questions. I suspect my son is going to realize that something is different between him and us. Even as a toddler before he could speak, he would spend much time examining my hand and comparing it to his. Was he perplexed by the difference in color? Was he impressed by the difference in size? As an inquisitive toddler, I am sure it was a little of both.

Yes, I am going to tell my son he is adopted. I love the word “adopted” because of all the joy this adoption has brought to our family. I hate the word “adopted” because in our everyday, he is not my “adopted” son. He is my son who I dearly love.

No comments: