Designing D Store

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day 5 of Liberation, I mean Correction

Five days ago my husband and I decided to take the gaming system away from our son. This action is intended to be motivation to correct our son’s lack of responsibility in regards to his chores. We have a mixed response. Our son actually said, “This is a good week to be grounded from video games. I have had lots of time to catch up on things.” I asked him what he has caught up on, and I got a very normal kid answer, “stuff.”

Did our punishment/correction work? Yes, our son is very a tune to his duties. We have not reminded him over and over. Our son has been asking me if it is time to take out the trash. He has been asking me of the best way to get all the dishes in the dish washer. He still has not picked-up the toys in the living room, but he has a little brother who is the primary culprit to the mess in the living room.

We are pleased with the response. As a stay at home Mom, at first I was reluctant. If the kids are not busy with their toys then they are under my feet with the constant, “Mama, mama, mama, mama.” When I give and ask, “What?” Inevitably, they say, “Nothing.” And then start again, “Mama, mama….” Sorry, off point.

We are pleased with the response but perplexed on whether or not to give the system back. I have watched my son read more, draw more, play with his brother more, and he is faster to respond when I call him. I really like this child who is talkative and imaginative. If I give him back the system, will he again retreat to his room and bury his head in the games? We will lose his smiles, his laughs, his hugs to the gaming system?

Perplexed, I want to reward him for doing his chores so well, but I don’t want to lose him.

No comments: