Designing D Store

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Step One: Choosing a Process (part two)

Yesterday, as we started a recount of the adoption process as we experienced it with our son, we saw several doors shut. When doors close, it is time to open a window.

As I contemplated what makes a family, beat myself up for not being satisfied with one beautiful bouncing baby boy, mourned the loss of a child that would never be born, cried over the expense of fertility treatments and adoption, fumed over the injustice of placing a price tag on a child’s life, my life went on.

I had just about reconciled all my emotions when I accidentally discovered Special Needs adoption. I was at McDonald’s watching my beautiful baby boy play on the inside playground when a woman with three beautiful girls came in. She noticed I was staring and was all too happy to tell me how her family grew. She told me about Special Needs adoption. She told me that the State would pay me to care for a child until the adoption was finalized and depending on our situation, the State may even pay for all our legal expenses and provide other benefits for the child. We have a winner! Special Needs, also known as foster to adopt, adoption was the one for us.

About Special Needs Adoption, in the State of Texas the primary goal of Child Protective Services is reunification. Of course, there is the reality that reunification is not always possible. To assure children are cared for during the process of determining whether or not reunification is possible, children at risk are put into foster care. As soon as a child is put into protective custody a number of assessments are made including legal risk and level of special needs. Legal risk is the likelihood that the child will be returned to their family. A low level, the child will most likely not go back to their parents/guardians. A high level, the child will go back to their parents/guardians. Special needs define the level of care a child will need from just food, shelter and clothing to round the clock medical care.

Foster Care Parents choose what level of legal risk and special needs they are able to care for. Since we already had a small child and limited financial means, we stayed low on both legal risk and special needs. Our journey had begun. The open window had allowed a wind of hope to blow open a door. All we needed now was an agency.

No comments: