Designing D Store

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Step One: Choosing a Process (part one)

In an earlier post on Oct. 14, 2008, called “Family by Choice” I talked about why we decided to adopt and briefly about the adoption. In honor of Adoption Month, we continue down a more detailed description of our journey to adopt.

Infertility is such a weird word. I had given birth to a son, so I was not infertile. My husband was the father of our son, so he wasn’t infertile. It was that crummy episode with cancer that the doctors had to take away my husband’s ability to father children. So now my husband is called infertile. What a weird word! If you split it up it is “in” “fertile” which should mean to be in, a part of, in the “in” crowd and fertility, able to reproduce. But it does not.

We did do the Fertility treatments. Since it was a surgical procedure that robbed us, we were given time for my husband to “bank.” Fertility treatments are not cheap or easy. I did the shots and discovered I had a mild allergy to the injections. The doctor did not think the welts on my leg were an issue. After a few failed attempts we had a consultation to discuss invetro fertilization. We were advised that it would be $10K per procedure and not to expect to get pregnant the first time. The odds of pregnancy were only 20%, and it took generally took two procedures for the body to adapt and be receptive. Well, that closed that door.

We did our research on domestic and international adoption. The expenses were high to say the least. We estimated between $10,000 - $20, 0000 plus. Many agencies said you could claim 100% of your expenses for a tax rebate up to $10,000 (actually, I don’t remember the exact numbers). The problem for us was coming up with the money in the first place. That closed that door.

When doors close, it is time to open a window. Tomorrow, the view through the window.

No comments: